Monday, September 3, 2012

Gluten Free Maple-Cinnamon Granola


My favorite breakfast has always been yogurt. When I wouldn't drink milk growing up, I would always eat yogurt and "bodadah" (granola). In high school when I went through a cereal hating phase, I would still eat yogurt. I eat yogurt in the morning several days per week, I usually have another one as a snack at work and I also freeze yogurt for popsicles.
I recently received a yogurt maker for a birthday gift. I can make my own yogurt anytime now and I can be sure it doesn't have any preservatives or additives. It is delicious and also fun for me to be able to make it at home!
As much as I like yogurt by itself, I also like it with a crunch element. This granola is very healthy and tasty. It is just nuts and some coconut, so it is gluten free as well. I would also be great mixed into oatmeal or even having a handful for a snack. Enjoy!

Gluten Free Maple-Cinnamon Granola

Adapted from The Metabolism Miracle

2 cups nuts of your choice (I used pecans, walnuts, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds. Flax seeds and pumpkin seeds would also be good)
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 egg white
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used a maple-agave blend syrup from Trader Joes)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

1. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Combine nuts and coconut in a bowl. Add the egg white and stir to combine
3. In a separate bowl combine the coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon
4. Pour cinnamon mixture over the nuts and stir to combine
5. Distribute nuts in a layer on the parchment paper
6. Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes or until toasted and starting to brown. Stir every 10 minutes until done.
7. Allow to cool on a cooking rack. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This looks really good and I had it in mind for a friend, who also has an egg allergy to go with wheat, gluten, peanuts, and everything else fun. Do you know a good substitute for the egg white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess,
      I think you could just skip the egg white. When I looked at other granola recipes, most do not have an egg white so it may have just been added to this recipe for extra protein. I think could easily be left out if needed.
      Laura

      Delete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails